Home History Historical Park

Upcoming Events

No events

City Contacts

Emergency 911
non-emergency numbers
Police Dept.
Fire Dept.
City Hall 795-2202
Water Dept 795-2202
Public Works 795-2202
Historical Park Print E-mail
Article Index
Historical Park
Page 2
All Pages

Welcome to the Mound City Historical Park.
Buildings from the area have been added to the Park over the years.

Mineral Well
The mineral well and gazebo were the first in the park. A gazebo now covers a well, drilled in 1914. To everyone's surprise, the pungent odor indicated mineral content, and a health
facility, The Maples, (now gone) was built across the street.

The Maples

Early in this century many years after Mr. T. E. Smith drilled a well on the south side of Little Sugar Creek, the Mound City Improvement Club became interested in having a well drilled in the City Park.


The ladies' club in 1914 received permission from the City Council to have a well drilled just east of the present American Legion Community Building. When completed it proved to be a mineral well. After it was cased, pipe was put in place and a pump installed at a total cost of $245.75. A concrete platform was poured, a railing put around the edge and seats were added. A pagoda was built over it, with a small flag pole on top, with a flag waving in the breeze.


When the water was tested, it was learned that it had certain healthful qualities. Several interested businessmen made arrangements to lease the well for three years, with plans to establish a Sanitarium to be known as the Maples.


The Sanitarium was completed in 1915, equipped with facilities for modern baths, massage and hydropathic treatments. The Maples was in the large house that stood on the site where the Sacred Heart Church is now. The house had been constructed in 1858 by Mr. T. E. Smith.


This all happened before K-52 Highway existed, so the group needed to get the street well graded, a sidewalk built, and have electricity installed. Electric power had not been in Mound City very long at the time.


Number 9 School

You can almost hear the school bell. You'll be tempted to dip braids in the inkwells. This one-room schoolhouse was used from 1868-1959.


The School was restored by Alan Brown. During this restoration 4 ceilings were removed giving an idea of how many times the school had been renovated.


As high as 70 students have attended No. 9 at one time and as low as 9. Due to a low number of students the school closed in the Spring of 1959. When the students finished the 8th grade they were required to take a test given by the County Superintendent to advance to high school. Salaries at No. 9 School ranged from $33.00 a month to $350.00.

Mound City Depot

The teachers usually stayed with a family in the Community or if they lived farther away they drove a horse and buggy to school.

Mound City Depot


The Missouri Pacific Railroad ran from Butler, Mo, through Mound City to Madison, Kansas. The Mound City Depot was built in 1886-1888. The last train ran through Mound CIty in July of 1945. It brought 10,000 light poles to complete the Rural Electrification project in Linn County.


The depot now houses old-time work stations.


It was a joyful day when Mound City people heard the news that Gus Warzel and Mr. Ernst Schultz planned to build an Electric plant in Mound City. The plant was completed in 1915. Mr. Warzel built this bungalow for his family.


It is very typical of one story homes built in the early 1900's. The formed blocks used to build the porch are also typical of the era. They were poured into forms to give the uneven shape. This bungalow originally sat across the street immediately east of the park where the Jehovah Witness Church now stands. Part of the foundation of the electric plant can still be seen near the road. Out back, find the "root cellar" that also served as a shelter to Kansas storms.


Log Cabin

This cabin was one of the last of cabins built for a home in Linn County. Mr. George Clausen built and lived in the cabin in the early 1900's. The logs were numbered, the cabin taken apart and moved to the Park from about a mile and a half from the Sugar Creek Mission under the supervision of Alan Brown.


The cabin was constructed of persimmon logs (thick bark with small square pattern) a very dense wood. With the exception of three logs, these are the original logs in the cabin. The Mansford roof (square top) is unusual for cabins built in the area. It gives added space in the loft room. This persimmon log cabin was the last of it's kind to be inhabited in Linn County.



The barn on the park is constructed of lumber from an old barn torn down in the Wesley Community. It has stalls and manger for two horses and stanchion and feed boxes for two milk cows.



Windmills were a main source of obtaining water from the well prior to gas and electric pumps. They had to be managed carefully. To catch a breeze on a still day or to shut the windmill down on a windy day to make sure the tank didn't run over. It was also very important every tank was full on a windy day just in case the wind didn't blow for a day or two or three.


This windmill was purchased and moved to this park by Eugene Campbell. The concrete watering tank came from the Campbell farm southwest of Mound City and is over 100 years old.


Join Us On Facebook

Local Businesses

Video Player

A closer look at Mound City

Copyright © 2010 Mound City | MoundCity.org | City Hall phone: 913.795.2202

Site by Redlogic Communications, Inc. | Admin